CHAIRPERSON: Isabel Ibarra
Co Chair: Rachel Martinez
Entries will be accepted between 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., Wednesday, Sept. 22nd. Judging will take place on Wednesday, Sept. 22nd, beginning at 7:00 p.m. The screening committee and/or the Chairperson will determine whether to accept entries, after inspection, and their decisions are final.
All entries must be picked up on Sunday, September 26th, between 5:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. or Monday, September 28th, between 8:00 a.m. and 12:00 noon.
All entries must have been made within the past calendar year (October 2029 – September 2021) and may not have been entered in the fair in previous years.
No items assembled from a kit will be accepted for competition. A kit is a commercially prepared package containing a set of parts or pieces to be assembled or completed by a person who did not prepare the commercial package. An original item is one TOTALLY conceived and executed by the individual in whose name it is entered.
NO GLASS of an kind, in frames or otherwise, will be accepted.
HANDWORK, KNITTING & CROCHETING DIVISION:
Articles that are soiled or unfit for exhibit will not be accepted. Articles that appear worn, that are deemed unfit, not handmade or not created within the past calendar year with not be accepted. Chairperson's decision is final. All articles must be handmade, not sewn on a machine with a maximum of (5) entries accepted per person present.
Small items will be grouped together and considered as one entry.
All categories are eligible to compete for tri-color, blue, red, and white ribbons. Trophies will be awarded to Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion Handwork. Age categories include: 1) Adult and 2) Youth (up to age 18 as long as they are enrolled in school).
HANDWORK, KNITTING & CROCHETING CATEGORIES:
- 1) EMBROIDERY: Bedspreads, Center pieces, Doilies (1), Tablecloths, Luncheon Sets, Guest or Tea towels (2), Scarves, Pillow cases (1 set), Samplers, Aprons, Chair sets (2), Smocking, Sheets, Candle wicking
- 2) CROSS-STITCH, COUNTED CROSS-STITCH (framed and unframed)
- 3) KNITTING: Sweaters, Socks, Dresses/Suits, Accessories (hats, bags, gloves, etc.), and Doilies
- 4) BABY-INFANT HANDWORK: Baby clothing (sets), Bibs, Afghans, Blankets, Accessories (booties, hats, etc.)
- 5) MISCELLANEOUS CROCHETING: Center pieces, Doilies (1), Chair sets (2), Tablecloths, Accessories (hats, bags, gloves, etc.), Sweaters, Stoles, Collars, Dresses, Hankies (1), Edgings (1 yard or more)
- 6) CROCHETING: Afghans, Bedspreads
- 7) HAND QUILTING: Appliqué, Patchwork (pieced), Clothing, Wall hangings
- 8) MISCELLANEOUS: Pin Cushions, Bottle covers, Pillows, Needlepoint, Rugs, Hand-weaving and Tatting, Fibers, Fleeces, and Wools, etc.
SEWING AND CLOTHING DESIGN DIVISION:
All entries must have been made within the past calendar year (October 2020 – September 2021) and may not have been entered in the fair in previous years.
Articles that are soiled or unfit for exhibit will not be accepted. Articles worn, that are deemed unfit, not hand created or not created within the past calendar year will not be accepted. Chairperson's decision is final.
A trophy will be awarded for “Best of Show” in each of three categories: (1) Sewing – Adult, (2) Sewing – Youth (up to age 18 as long as they are still enrolled in school), and (3) Non-Clothing. Decorated/Embellished Clothing, and Non-Clothing. Tri-color, blue, red and white ribbons will also be awarded.
The garment entered must be the work of the exhibitor, must be handmade, hand or machine sewn and must be in excellent, wearable condition. All garments must be entered on a hanger and labeled with the initials of the exhibitor, age, and class group.
All entries must have been made within the past calendar year (October 2018 – September 2019). Entries will be judged on general construction of each garment, neatness of stitches, finishing details, and overall quality and appeal. All garments must be accepted by the screening committee at the Chairperson’s discretion. A maximum of FIVE (5) entries per person present on Wednesday at time of entry will be accepted.
1) Handmade – Hand or machine sewn garments: dresses, sportswear, loungewear, vests, evening wear, shirts, coats (lined and unlined), suits (lined and unlined) , and children’s clothing
2) Decorated/Embellished Clothing – The entire garment must be handmade: vest (hand-sewn) with embellished works, embroidery, smocking, cut work & ribbon inserts (all sewn in place), use of rick-rack (sewn in place) and other ribbon detailing, any combination of the above handwork or embellishing. NOTE: No computer generated machine sewn embroidery will be accepted.
3) Non-Clothing Class – Any non-clothing article, machine sewn: wall hanging, doll clothes, pillows, machine sewn quilts, refurbished textiles created from vintage articles such as old doilies, old clothing, blue jeans or quilts may be accepted for competition upon inspection by the screening committee and/or the chairperson.
THE COMAL COUNTY FAIR ASSOCIATION IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR LOSS, THEFT, OR DAMAGE TO ANY ENTRY.
All events are working to follow the CDC guidelines on proper COVID-19 restrictions. Please be advised events are subject to change depending on restrictions!